Thursday, June 16, 2011

Review and Guest Post: Breaking Even

Book: Breaking Even by Kathleen Kole
Published by Sublime Coyote Media; March 2011
242 pages (ebook edition)
I received this book as part of a blog tour hosted by Samantha of ChickLit Plus.

Synopsis via Goodreads: Meet Penelope Whittaker. A sensible, do things the right way, soon-to-be-married accountant. Penelope is engaged to the wonderful, kind and caring Ben Miller ... a man she has known forever. Enter Single Dad. While on a school run, Penelope accidentally locks her keys in her car. A seemingly boring event, until she is offered aid by a very handsome (hubba, hubba) and personable Single Dad. Shaken by the encounter, or, more to the point, shaken by her reaction to the encounter, Penelope tries to put it where it belongs: on a shelf marked "Chance Encounters". Life has different plans.

This book threw completely threw me...in a good way. It took me a little bit to figure out that the men in the book were brothers and all the women in the book were sisters-in-law or in Penelope's case, sister-in-law-to-be. Penelope is engaged to Ben and thinks that life is going well until she meets Single Dad while dropping her soon to be nephews off at school. (Note: I think usually the capitalization of the adjective noun moniker in chick lit means bad news). Breaking Even is no different.

I completely took the side of the befuddled Miller brothers during this one. There's a lot of girl drama in the book that had me a mixture of amused and appalled. The really funny part is that I get the automatic female response, being a girl and all, but seeing it happen in a book is definitely surreal. I had a few moments of panic where I thought to myself "please don't let me do this."

There is a really great makeover scene. Plus, having worked in the customer service field in the past, the first day working in a coffee shop scene is my personal favorite. I wish I could have done that kind of thing on my off days. I think I had dreams about doing it.

This book was kind of therapeutic for me because it let me really look at my own relationship kind of analytically and see the importance of communication. It's witty, charming and a great read. I really recommend this book to anyone who loves funny chick lit reads. The pacing of it is fantastic and is a rather quick read, I finished it in an evening. It would be a great beach read; even though it's doesn'
t take place at a beach, there's no reason why you can't take it to the beach, right?

Kathleen was kind enough to write a guest post on whether or not a relationship can survive cheating. Read below:
Can a relationship survive cheating?  If so, how?

Such a volatile subject and one to which my response would be, Yes, it can survive!  And, then, no, it cannot!  Finally, I would meet somewhere in the middle and declare that it really does depend one hundred percent upon the couple in question.

I, myself, have not had to encounter the relationship taxing experience of infidelity.  I have, however, known couples who have.  Interestingly, the person who did the cheating seemed to bare weight on the survival of the relationship.  What I mean by that is, in the relationship where it was the man who cheated, the couple/s stayed together.  Where it was the woman, they did not.  Do I have a theory on this?  Yes, I do.

It appears when a man cheats, it is primarily driven by sex/physical attraction.  When a woman cheats, however, it is because of emotional/love needs that aren’t being met.  Case in point, when a woman reveals she has cheated, her man will ask, “Did you sleep with him?”  Whereas when a man admits to infidelity, he is asked, “Do you love her?”  If that doesn’t say it all, I don’t know what does. 

How does this relate back to the couple’s survival?  Well, it would seem, for many women a purely physical indiscretion can be eventually be forgiven.  It may take time, therapy and the like, but in the end, if it was nothing more than a physical “hiccup” (and, of course, isn’t an established pattern) it can be let go.  It was physical.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Not so when it is a woman who has cheated.  From what I have seen, by the time a woman has taken the leap forward into something physical with another man, it is because she is already involved emotionally.  Regardless of the man’s attractiveness, it is her emotions, not her libido that takes her forward.  And, when that happens, her current relationship pretty much doesn’t stand a chance of surviving.  Her heart is gone; therefore, the couple may as well shut down the proverbial building. 

So, one more time, can a relationship survive cheating?  Yes, and no. 

If it does, how would that happen?  Simply put, it must still have its heart.  Without its heart, there’s nothing left to salvage... except maybe the DVDs.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I know what scene you are talking about with the female antics, and I had to think, yep, I would probably be the same ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your assessment. I think love can survive anything if both people want to work at it. Marriage/relationships have so many strings that can be pulled to destroy it, it really matters how hard the couple is willing to tug to make it work. It's a full-time job.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @chicklitplusblogtours I know I do girl antics every now and then and I hate myself after. Kind of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lena Relationships are a lot of work. But at the same time I love that relationships evolve and grow.

    ReplyDelete