Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Will Make


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovely ladies at The Broke and the Bookish! Each week, a new topic is put into place and bloggers share their top ten accordingly.  This week's topic is top ten books that will make you laugh (or at least chuckle.)

When I was trying to come up with books for this list (and I went back through 5 years of goodreads challenges!) I realized that I read a lot of dark shit. Not only that, but the humor that I like is equally dark, sarcastic, or snarky. This list will definitely not be what is considered traditional humor, but these books will amuse some of my fellow gallows humor aficionados. 

1. Looking For Alaska by John Green. This was the first JG novel I ever read and still my favorite. While parts of it are very sad, and may make you cry, the wit of the characters is amazing. My copy is full of highlights because I can't resist noting a funny passage.

2. Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. To sum up, the world is supposed to end before dinner on Saturday, and someone seems to have misplaced the antichrist. My sister, who is not a reader, loves this book, which speaks volumes about how much you will laugh.

3. Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson. The Bloggess wrote an entire book of essays/stories about her life. Enough said. 

4. On Writing by Stephen King. I know this will raise some eyebrows. Stephen King, the horror writer? Yes, he is hilarious. (I find some of his fiction funny at times, I know, I'm weird.) But his memoir is full of sarcasm and snark and I just love it.

5. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. She is the queen of satirical writing. Let's not take classic literature so seriously all the time, shall we?

6. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. Thorne is by far the best character. He is like the Jack Sparrow of space. If he doesn't make you laugh out loud, there is something wrong.

7. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. Pretty much the entire novel is Anne Shirley getting herself into hilariously preventable situations. However, the raspberry cordial scene never fails to make me laugh.

8. The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories by Tim Burton. A book full of Burton's stories, poems, and drawings. Need I say more?

9. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. There is a story within a story. Both made me laugh, and the protagonist is so socially awkward. That really struck a chord with me...so maybe I was inadvertently laughing at myself. Also the sisters in the book are named Cath and Wren...let that sink in.

10. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I love this book. It is in my top ten fave books of life! It is funny, and romantic, and endearing...pretty much everything you want in a book. I have reread it several times and I never get tired of it.


So that is my list. What books made your top ten?

No comments:

Post a Comment